Second defective jog dial in one year!

Marshwader

Approx. 2 months after I got my DVX200 early in 2016 the jog dial suddenly became unresponsive and then failed altogether. Mercifully Panasonic in UK replaced it with a very rapid turn around but I never trusted that componenet fully from then on and avoided using it so far as possible. So the replacement dial hasn't actually done all that much work but last week it failed again in exactly the same way as the first and the camera is on its way to Panasonic again. Has anyone else been as unlucky? And is it true that they have brought out a new better specified part. I read sometime ago on this forum that the failure is due to internal cable assemblies fracturing in low temperatures. Has anyone found out any more about the jog dial problem? :(

"In low temperatures"? I bet lots of equipment can malfunction in severe temperatures, cold or hot. Even a sophisticated device as well-made as DVX200 is bound to have something break down on it for some reason or another. For my use, the exact opposite is true: I use my DVX200 in very high temperatures under a hot Texas sun and it's held up very well, including the jog wheel. I wonder if insulating the camera inside something like a WetSuit or Rain Cover would help...letting the camera warm up inside first before taking it outside.

ADDENDUM:

Check out the PortaBrace Polar Mitten Camera Case for DVX200. https://www.portabrace.com/pol-dvx200.html

Thing is my camera never has been in temperatures lower then 3 or 4 degrees celcius at the lowest and absolutely no severe temperatures at all. That explanation doesn't come from my experience but from Panasonic themselves and was quoted by a user on this forum who like others has experienced the same fault. I live in the fairly moderate climate of southern England. No Artic storms here and absolutely no need for "Polar Mittens". Take a look at this thread where others report the problem: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?350338-Something-new-discovered! I love my DVX200. It's a great camera but when the dial goes there are no work arounds to change shutter speed etc.
Below is what Panasonic apparently gave as the explanation:

Symptom: Jog dial & button does not function at all, or not work smoothly.
Cause:printed pattern on the flat-cable in the dial part was disconnected by cracking, which may be notably happened in low ambient temperature of approximately 0°C / 32°F or lower.
Remedy: Improved durability of the cable by employing more flexible material
We can expect the new stock is already there with respective Panasonic SVC's so replacement time should be quick.
Thanks

Last edited:
I'd love to film you peeing on your camera to keep it warm. Sadly my DVX 200 is off to the repairers again with that pesky jog dial. But I could always use my little FZ2000, which mercifully doesn't have one. Name the date and the place! On a more serious note: I wish you both good luck with the dials on your cameras as many have failed for whatever reasons. Just take a look at the thread on this forum I have linked to in my post above and here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?350338-Something-new-discovered. Lets just hope that in the event that yours fails that your Panasonic repairers are as efficient as the ones in the UK who have a 5 day turn around and a loaner if they can't stick to that.
Last time and to my amazement they did manage to return it within that time frame and I remain hopeful that they'll be just as helpful this time. Others elsewhere weren't so lucky :grin:

Last edited:
my jog dial broken again second time
With my previous camera (AG-AC 160) it never happened in 5 years.
This is development
congratulation for Panasonic
I'm out of the job again

My jog dial is fine so far. Because of all the bad news on it, I have adopted a use model that minimizes its use. You really don't have to use it that much...more touch screen.

That's the strategy, i.e using the touch screen as far as possible, I was trying to follow after the first dial went on my camera last year although for some functions, shutter, variable white balance headphone volumes ... there is no alternative to the blooming jog dial. So the replacement didn't see much action and still broke again just now. Luck of the draw, maybe? I really think they ought do a recall on these dials as this problem undermines confidence in their products. I am very seriously interested in the mystery cinema camera they teased at NAB 2017: http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/24/panasonic-teases-new-cine-camera-at-nab/ hoping to use my extensive collection of Canon L lenses even if through an adapter on it. If it has another jog dial it would take a mighty leap of faith for me to assume that it would just be reliable this time ... . :(

The jog dial has started acting up - here in mild, temperate Kansas. I am not looking forward to having to ship it off to have it fixed.

Here in Texas we pee on our cameras because we're ornery.

But seriously, this is such a sad thing to hear about the jog wheel fizzing out as a design flaw. I'm old school so I wind up using that dial more than the touchscreen, but I'm also a soft touch so maybe that'll help? Or, maybe it's just a bad batch of cameras? It'd be nice if that were the case, but – Occam's razor – it really just sounds like a flaw. I guess it makes sense: it is a mechanical part of the camera, one that is on the outside and has to be man-handled...but, I really hope that THAT's where the mechanical issues end. There's a whole slew of potential mechanical design flaws and ticking time bombs INSIDE the camera (I'm talking the lens) that, if they were to malfunction, you effectively have a brick with a Panasonic label on it. It's a shame about the jog wheel, but hopefully that's the ONLY thing that malfunctions on these otherwise impressive, solid, and reliable tools.

The way Panasonic have explained it so far the problem has nothing to do with the mechanical component of the jog dial. It is due to the cracking of the printed pattern on the flat cable that connects the dial to the camera electronics. I had the AG HMC 151 since it first came out years ago. Rock solid camera. Never had any problems until I sold it last year. I used it very extensively. Sometimes it was recording for many hours at a time. So therefore my impression of Panasonic was that of a very high quality manufacturer. It still is but the second jog dial failure is sowing some doubts.
Here in the UK we never pee on our cameras under any circumstances. Never, ever! I thought the Brits were weird (I'm not one and they are) but you guys take the biscuit! Keep ornering (whatever that might mean?) :shocked:

Last edited:
The way Panasonic have explained it so far the problem has nothing to do with the mechanical component of the jog dial. It is due to the cracking of the printed pattern on the flat cable that connects the dial to the camera electronics. I had the AG HMC 151 since it first came out years ago. Rock solid camera. Never had any problems until I sold it last year. I used it very extensively. Sometimes it was recording for many hours at a time. So therefore my impression of Panasonic was that of a very high quality manufacturer. It still is but the second jog dial failure is sowing some doubts.
Here in the UK we never pee on our cameras under any circumstances. Never, ever! I thought the Brits were weird (I'm not one and they are) but you guys take the biscuit! Keep ornering (whatever that might mean?) :shocked:

Years ago I wrote several stories and started a ban of Mitsubishi autos regarding their coverup of a defect that actually killed people. The story eventually died, the ban never took effect, and Mitsubishi was able to use effective PR to save the brand. The moral is, the Panasonic brand will not be tarnished by a small part failure on one of their many cameras. ?

I also know regarding product defects, usually not every part manufactured is defective. Sometimes in a production run a few of the parts become defective. Since your jog wheel died twice, that is a bad sign. Having studied quantitative methods for a year as part of my business core, and using statistical sampling analysis as a CPA, I would suggest that even though the part failed twice, it may not be statistical proof that all the jog dials are defective.

Last edited:
Thanks for feeling my pain! And yes of course I understood that peeing on cameras was just a figure of speech but it seemd to suggest that you think the whole thing is a joke. And no, as I implied in my last post above I am not a Brit. I live in the UK though and suffer from their current multiple national idiocies. So you can't really get me with all that talk of bailing them out in WWII. I'm far more concerned with not being landed with expensive repairs when my warranty runs out. Thankfully my guarantee here is generous and longer than elesewhere and as I said above: The Panasonic repair service here is astonishingly effective and helpful. So my post was at least in part to warn people that this is a real problem especially if the are in a part of the world with less generous warranty provisions. And no it's not a regional problem. In this thread and elsewhere I have heard of people in the US who've had the dial fail. An yes, if your president has taught the world anything at all it is that the Americans can be full of sh... . :love4: So go test your cameras for the early warning signs as the failure often develops slowly with sluggish responses from the wheel, skipping a change of a setting before it finally fails completely just when it is most inconvenient. If you are stuck on the shutter setting for ex you won't even be able to get into the Icon screen to change scene files, area mode or whatever else is hiding there. Great fun if you are just recording an event ... .

Last edited:
I use a lot of the scroll wheel to gain control under recording
This can not be done with a touch screen
because so I can make a large aperture
What is the company who can not making a jog dial ?

I would be very surprised if Panasonic actually made the jog dial rather than sourcing it from some component manufacturer, but who knows. Anyway they need to know that this component is dodgy so that they can either change it themselves or step on the toes of whoever they are getting it from to improve their QC. After all this is quite an expensive pro camera and like you I was very happy with previous models I owned. The jog wheel controls many settings but not actually the aperture. So you are mixing something up there but I definitely sympathize with your predicament. What is the warranty in Hungary? What has their response been?

Well we get a lot of people on this forum that blame the camera, when it is operating error. One of my friends has a production company and his equipment always fails. One day I was assisting in a shoot and at the end of the day, I saw him take his camera and just drop it into a 5 gallon bucket. Duh, little wonder it always fails. I think it would be good to get some stats on the failure rate. Some people lack tactile dexterity. Some people abuse their gear. Does anyone have any news from Pani or another source as to the failure rate? Maybe Berry Green should chime in on this.

I can assure you that I treat all my equipment with kid gloves and as I mentioned above after the first repair I actually attempted to use it as little as possible using the touch screen whenever possible. And still it failed again. Panasonic need to look at this componenet and maybe they already have and are now supplying better replacement parts. My hope! :kiss:

I also have taken great care of my equipment.....already for 30 years.
Simple!
The Panasonic can not afford this
Marshwader! "What is the warranty in Hungary? What has their response been?"
Delivered to England
And what's up during this time?

I use a lot of jog dial,Because I paid for it too
for example: WB variable, gain control, area control etc
Because they can not be otherwise

The AC 160 camera Never had a repair shop under 4 years

Yea. It sucks the jog dial has failed for some people. I use mine a lot and everything's fine. Had the camera for a year now and have used it in places where it needed to be severely cleaned afterward (beaches) several times and in heat conditions approaching 100°F with strong salty wind and extremely tenacious brides! Thankfully, the DVX200 has been a solid tool.

Yea. It sucks the jog dial has failed for some people. I use mine a lot and everything's fine. Had the camera for a year now and have used it in places where it needed to be severely cleaned afterward (beaches) several times and in heat conditions approaching 100°F with strong salty wind and extremely tenacious brides! Thankfully, the DVX200 has been a solid tool.

It does suck. But there is no product on earth that does not have some failure rate. Would like to get to the bottom of this issue and find out how many are actually failing, and if there is a solution in the form of a quick fix. Very bizarre that a second dial would fail. I would like a Panasonic rep or Barry to weigh in. I have shot in cold, heat, humidity, etc. no problems. And thankfully, my DVX has been very reliable and solid too.

Back